This is a unique opportunity to join the initial team of a brand new programme designed to have an outsized impact in the climate fight. You'll be able to get in at the ground floor as we create a new ecosystem for climate tech in Europe.
Climate Tech Insights Internship
Build A Climate Startup (working title) is a climate tech venture studio. We partner with entrepreneurial scientists and engineers, domain specialists and operators to build new, high-impact climate startups in deep tech and science.
Participants join as Founders-in-Residence over a 9 month period and work alongside our core team to shape their ideas into a new company.
Our Founding Partners have supported or invested in 25 companies in climate, deeptech, and beyond. We have also built companies. We believe the climate crisis is the most pressing challenge in the world, and supporting Founders is how we maximise our impact. We are building a mission-driven team in Paris, France, with a global outlook.
About The Role
We are offering a 6 or 12 month internship position to join our Climate Tech Insights team, to help us navigate high-impact venture opportunities in climate tech. The role is ideal for someone with a technical degree with an interest in business, who is optimistic about our ability to turn the tide on the climate crisis.
You will work in close collaboration with our Climate Tech Analysts, Partners and Founders to research markets and technologies at the cutting edge of the race to net zero. Your work will help us refine our thesis, prioritise new venture development, and support investment decisions as well as recruitment. You will have the opportunity to work directly with inspiring Founders and get exposure to the worlds of deeptech startups, venture capital, and climate solutions.
We know it is a lot of ground to cover, hence your ability to learn on the job will be more important than ticking all the boxes. However, we feel that a science or engineering degree, or similar experience, is preferable. Prior internships in VC, a startup or tech transfer environment might give you a head start, but it is not a pre-requisite.
Our initial focus areas include CO2 removal and management, ocean climate solutions, computational chemistry & biology, low-carbon buildings, and hydrogen. These will evolve over time as we uncover new high-impact opportunities together.
This is a unique opportunity to join the initial team of a brand new programme designed to have an outsized impact in the climate fight. You'll be able to get in at the ground floor as we create a new ecosystem for climate tech in Europe
Location: Paris, France. Flexible remote working is possible, with a core presence at our office least 2-3 days per week.
Language: English fluency is mandatory. French fluency is preferable.
Contract type: 6-12 month internship.
Compensation: €1200 monthly. Benefits across transport, lunch, and health insurance and office within an inspiring startup campus in Paris.
This role aims to support our team and portfolio through research, analysis and related activities. At its heart, our work is about evaluating climate investment opportunities and supporting Founders. Your day-to-day responsibilities will vary but definitely include:
- Research. Supporting the Analyst team and Partners by keeping a close eye on academic, startup, industry and non-profit circles, you will track emerging technologies and market developments in many climate tech sectors. From understanding the latest science to mapping players and more, your work will help us evaluate opportunities against business, technology, and impact criteria.
- Communication. Supporting the creation of concise analysis and presentation materials (memos, sheets, decks, articles) based on the teams research, both for internal and potential external distribution. These would aim to synthesise market trends, technology & IP landscapes, sector challenges and venture opportunities.
- Network engagement. Participate in calls and meetings with key hubs of talent and expertise such as university labs, innovation communities, and professional associations. You will map and track the most relevant innovation ecosystem in our fields.
- Founder support. You will assist the Analyst team with their work in supporting Founders with market research and techno-economic analysis, and provide them with relevant resources.
Skills & Background
While this role has many dimensions, you will spend most of your time evaluating various technologies that reduce emissions, remove carbon from the atmosphere, and build climate resilience. There is a wide range of relevant professional and academic experiences, but here are characteristics we believe are ideal for success:
- You are a pragmatic optimist. You believe in the power of science and innovation to help us build a climate-positive, regenerative and equitable global economy.
- You are currently studying for a science or engineering degree with a solid understanding of at least one relevant technical field. Ex: energy, chemistry, physics, materials science, life science, carbon capture, computational science, etc.
- You have an appetite for learning, including in new fields beyond your core discipline(s). You are able to quickly understand the fundamentals, for instance by reviewing scientific papers or reaching out to top scientists and experts.
- You are naturally inquisitive and curious, anchor on the right concepts quickly, and go deep enough to surface non-obvious insights. You are able to efficiently collect, process, synthesize and communicate complex information.
- You are an excellent written and verbal communicator, able to convincingly produce analysis and recommendations, as well as presenting in public. You have an intuitive sense of design to create compelling visual narratives.
- You are very comfortable admitting what you do not know. Conversely, you are not shy about challenging others, always in a respectful manner.
- You are self-motivated and action-oriented. You are comfortable defining your own goals and you enjoy working on multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment, with a natural ability to prioritise tasks and manage your time.
- You take pride in excellence, accuracy and details in every parts of your work.
- You have an intrinsic, driving motivation to mitigate climate change.
How To Apply
Just fill in the form at the bottom of this page.
We believe a diverse group of minds is key to solving the climate crisis. We strongly encourage women, people of colour and under-represented candidates to apply.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, or disability status. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment.
Our mission is to create a climate-positive future for all. In service of this purpose, we are building a foundation of equity and inclusivity across our company.