Talent and Community Manager
Build A Climate Startup (working title) is a climate tech venture studio. We partner with entrepreneurial scientists and engineers, domain specialists and operators to build new, high-impact climate startups in deep tech and science.
Participants join as Founders-in-Residence over a 9 month period and work alongside our core team to shape their ideas into a new company.
Our Founding Partners have supported or invested in 25 companies in climate, deeptech, and beyond. We have also built companies. We believe the climate crisis is the most pressing challenge in the world, and supporting Founders is how we maximise our impact. We are building a mission-driven team in Paris, France, with a global outlook.
About The Role
We are hiring a full-time Talent and Community Manager to help us promote the brand in relevant ecosystems and lead our scouting efforts for future founders. The role is ideal for a people person who thrives in a science and technology environment, and is deeply optimistic about our ability to turn the tide on the climate crisis.
You will work in close collaboration with our Partners and current Founders to target the most relevant talent hubs in France, Europe and globally, and build a engagement strategy allowing us to build a diverse pipeline of talent and recruit the brightest individuals. You will have the opportunity to work directly with inspiring Founders and get exposure to the worlds of deeptech startups, venture capital, and climate solutions.
This is a lot of ground to cover, hence your ability to learn on the job will be more important than ticking all the boxes. However, we feel that a background in recruitment or marketing within an academic or startup environment will give you a head start.
Our initial focus areas include CO2 removal and management, ocean climate solutions, computational chemistry & biology, low-carbon buildings, and hydrogen. These will evolve over time as our team uncovers new high-impact opportunities.
This is a unique opportunity to join the initial team of a brand new programme designed to have an outsized impact in the climate fight. You'll be able to get in at the ground floor as we create a new ecosystem for climate tech in Europe.
Location: Paris, France. Flexible remote working is possible, with a core presence at our office at least 2-3 days per week.
Language: English fluency is mandatory. French fluency is preferable.
Contract type: CDI contract with trial period.
Compensation: €40k-50k (depending on experience). Employee share options with carried interest from portfolio company exits. Benefits across transport, lunch, and health insurance.
The main objective of this role is to successfully onboard top Founders-in-Residence for our venture creation program. Candidates are typically scientists, engineers, domain specialists and operators, with Founder potential and relevant skills for a climate problem we focus on. You will also help us expand our studio core team in key positions.
Your day-to-day responsibilities will vary but definitely include:
- Network engagement: You will build close ties with the top schools, universities, labs, corporates, professional associations and other talent hubs relevant to our focus areas.
- Talent sourcing: You will actively reach out to passive candidates through LinkedIn, ResearchGate, online communities, events, and more. You will engage with professors and influencers to identify top profiles in their network.
- Pipeline management: Building and maintaining a talent pipeline through inbound and outbound sourcing, you will conduct in-depth interviews with potential candidates and follow-up appropriately depending on fit and timing.
- Hiring process: You will help us run an effective hiring process for Founders and our studio team. You will suggest improvements and new strategies, including approaches to foster diversity and inclusion. You will set and track KPI's and tools.
- Community management: Through online tools, events and content, you will lead our efforts to grow a thriving climate tech community (talent, founders, experts, investors), nurturing our recruitment pipeline and helping us to build a strong brand.
- Content and PR: You will coordinate our content strategy (articles, podcasts, newsletter) and build links with relevant publications, communities, media and events to ensure a strong coverage and promotion of our brand. You will produce our Calls for Founders and job descriptions, with the help of our Partners and Analysts.
The role will occasionally involve travel to attend conferences and other events, although this is contingent to the evolution of the pandemic.
Skills & Background
While this role has many dimensions, you will spend most of your time interacting with people, institutions and networks in climate tech. There is a wide range of relevant experiences, but here are characteristics we believe are ideal for success:
- You are a pragmatic optimist. You believe in the power of science and innovation to help us build a climate-positive, regenerative and equitable global economy.
- You have a background in recruitment, marketing, or both. You are familiar with the process of sourcing, screening and securing top talent.
- You enjoy engaging (on a daily basis) with scientists and engineers who may work in highly specialist fields, and strive to understand their work. Ideally, you have experience working in a startup, R&D or academic environment.
- You love meeting new people and excel at managing and nurturing relationships.
- You are naturally at ease with digital marketing and social media, and have experience working toward generating media exposure. Ideally, you have already built and grown a community using online channels and events.
- You are an excellent written and verbal communicator, able to produce engaging online content, as well as presenting in public.
- You are a creative thinker, and you enjoy finding new routes to get the word out.
- You are intellectually curious, passionate about science, and able to quickly grasp the key concepts of a subject by speaking with experts and reading summary materials.
- You are self-motivated and action-oriented. You are comfortable defining your own goals and you enjoy working on multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment, with a natural ability to prioritise tasks and manage your time.
- You thrive in the creative chaos of early-stage startups. You want to get involved at the ground floor of a new project with high ambitions.
- You have an intrinsic, driving motivation to mitigate climate change.
How To Apply
Fill in the form at the bottom of this page. You'll be asked for the following information:
- Your CV in 1-page + LinkedIn and other relevant profiles
- A cover letter telling us about you and why you want this role
- Name three academic groups, communities or companies that you would target to source top talent and may be under our radar. In one sentence, describe how you would approach them to grow our talent pipeline.
We believe a diverse group of minds is key to solving the climate crisis. We strongly encourage women, people of colour and under-represented candidates to apply.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, or disability status. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment.
Our mission is to create a climate-positive future for all. In service of this purpose, we are building a foundation of equity and inclusivity across our company.